Friday, October 4, 2019

Friday, October 4, 2019: Battle of Amiens, Somme, Chamouille

We rose and checked out of our Amiens hotel. Today we drove a lot and the weather was not conducive to much outdoor activity.

We drove to the first tank to tank battle field. It involved three British Mark IV tanks and one German A7V (A7V). The engagement was not decisive, but historic.


Next we visited the field where von Richthofen perished.


A field of rape seed
 Then we stopped at the memorial to the Battle of Amiens, an Australian triumphant.












Then on to the Somme American Cemetery.















The battle of Bellicourt.




Finally, the Chemin des Dames where we toured the underground limestone caves.








We arrived at our hotel in Chamouille for a one night stand.



I realized it was only about 7:00 pm and we had not done much walking today. So, I put my shoes back on and started walking to the center of town. Chamouille had a population of only 256 in 2008 (about time for another census). I wanted to find a pub, so I figured my best bet would be to head toward the church steeple. First however, I took wrong turn and ended up walking the perimeter of a nine hole golf course. I made it to the church, which was closed. 


 

Continuing on into town, I did find a pub, but it was closed. Hey, it was after 8:00 pm on a Friday night, of course they would be closed!


I walked on through the town back toward the hotel. Very quiet.



It was raining through out my walk. I arrived back at the hotel, ordered a double gin and tonic and retired.




No comments:

Post a Comment